Understanding the World encompasses a wide range of learning all about the world that we live in. We look at our own environment, talking about what we have observed, and any changes. Understanding the World also covers ICT and using technology. Family customs and celebrations are also part of understanding the world.
When they leave our Nursery, your child should be able to:
- Enjoy exploring natural materials using all of their senses, and talk about what they have found.
- Be interested in different jobs that people do.
- Be interested in exploring how things work.
- Enjoy planting seeds and caring for growing plants.
- Understand the important parts of lifecycles of both plants and animals.
- Show respect and care for the natural environment and all living things.
- Learn about different forces they can feel, such as how water pushes up when they try to push a boat down in the water.
- Have positive attitudes about the differences between people.
- Know that there are different countries in the world, and talk about the differences they may have experienced or seen in photos.
- Use simple technology to interact with a favourite game.
- Understand technological toys and real life technology.
How you can help your child at home:
- Help your child to make collections of interesting materials e.g. pebbles or shells.
- Let your child explore ice/ snow and talk about what has happened when it melts.
- Plant seeds and bulbs
- Visit different places such as the library.